The Alexandria area is fortunate to have a facility like this.
- A family member or friend (18 years or older) must accompany you to and from the hospital. Your physician will wish to talk to this person after your procedure. It is important for this person to remain in the facility during your entire process. The facility encourages that your bring no more than 2 adults to accompany you at the facility.
- Children under the age of thirteen (13) are not allowed in the patient care areas.
- Plan to be at the facility for approximately 4 to 6 hours.
- Bathe or shower and brush your teeth the morning of your procedure (taking caution not to swallow any water).
- Wear loose comfortable clothes that are easy to put back on after your procedure.
- If you are having shoulder surgery, wear a very large front buttoned shirt.
- If you are having knee surgery, bring shorts or very large, wide leg pants or sweat pants.
- If you are having any type of abdominal surgery, wear very loose and comfortable clothing with a non-restrictive waist band.
- Leave all valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
- Remove all makeup, hair pins, and body piercing. You are not required to remove your nail polish, but it is recommended that you do not use dark colors, sometimes dark colored nail polish will inhibit the use of some of the necessary monitoring equipment.
- Report to the hospital at the time given to you by the pre-admission nurse. Generally, this is 1 to 11⁄2 hours before your procedure is scheduled. This provides adequate time for admission and preparing you for your procedure.
- You may be required to remove contact lens, glasses, hearing aids, or dentures. Please bring a storage case to protect these in the event that these need to be removed. This is decided upon based on the type of procedure that you will be having.
- Remember to follow the instructions regarding eating, drinking, and taking medications that your physician or the preadmission nurse provided you.
A warm, comfortable, spacious waiting area is available for visitors.